Friday, September 12, 2008

We will not waver; we will not tire; we will not falter; and we will not fail

I was at work in the Government facility I was working at, at the time. I was listening to the radio at my desk when they broke in and said that a plane had hit one of the towers. They said they thought it was a cesna that was messed up or something.
Right after that a lady came running to my desk with tears in her eyes and said I needed to get to the media room. It's a room with stadium seating where all the important people make their presentations, and there are two wall sized screens. They had CNN on both screens. I walked in and couldn't wrap my brain around it. The place was packed and the sound was turned up and here is this smoking tower on a screen that goes from floor to ceiling. Then we all watched as the second plane hit. The people were like zombies...just frozen in shock. Some were crying, most were just staring with their mouths slightly open. A call came over my radio and I left to answer. Our Lt. came over the radio and said that they were ordering an immediate lockdown of all facilities, nobody in or out, and each post was to acknowledge. I acknowledged and ran to secure the building. I then came back to the media room, and started feeling very inadequate. It dawned on me that if something were to happen here, and we survived, people would be turning to me for help and direction. I was numb. I felt like one of those people that you hear about that watch someone get attacked and don't do anything to help. I was small...

I found out later that a good High School friend of mine lost her husband in the attack. He was on the plane that hit the Pentagon. During the running of the torch for the 2002 Olympics, she was the person that ran the torch up to the White House and handed it to the President. Her name is Elizabeth.

I hate that they show the footage every year. I hate that Hollywood made a movie about it, even if Nick Cage was in it and it was done tastefully. It's still too close for me. I don't need reminders, because I'll never forget.

May God Bless you guys (and girls) in our military. You serve so we don't live in fear of this everyday, and you never get the credit, respect, or treatment you deserve.



No comments: