Sunday, December 21, 2008

Ah Bumhug!

WARNING!! DO NOT READ IF YOU ARE IN THE THROES OF CHRISTMAS CHEER! 

Maybe it's the fact that I've been coughing my brains out for the past week, or the fact that when they were passing out REAL jobs, I was out playing paintball and therefore have been consigned to work on Christmas morning ( I didn't want to watch the kids open presents in the morning anyway, I mean what father would?) but I gotta tell ya I'm not really feeling it this year. Hopefully that changes this week, but we'll see. 
  I'd really like someone to tell me why people save up their ignorance and stupidity for the holiday season. Think about it...when do people behave the worst? Yup, Christmas through New Year's. You don't want to drive anywhere for fear of getting rammed by some jackass who is on a freakin' MISSION to find little Davey the very last Nintendo Wii in the northern hemisphere. You certainly don't want to go into any discount type stores, because the roving bands of screaming and parentless children just might devour you. And all the while, what is the only thing playing on the radio?? Commercials done to the already annoying tunes of children's christmas songs....the same ones I hated when I was little. (Someone please find the guy who writes the Garmin commercials and set him on fire, thank you)
Would you like to know what my favorite Christmas memory is as a child? Well I'll tell you anyway: Lying on the frontroom couch in the dark, watching the lights change color on the Christmas tree while it was snowing outside. All the while I was surrounded by utter and complete silence. I wasn't that concerned about what was or wasn't going to be under the Christmas tree, I didn't have to be anywhere or do anything. I could merely lay there and think about the season itself, I guess. I'm not going to tell you that I lay there and contemplated the true meaning of Christmas, about the birth of Our Saviour and how I would honor it this year, etc...etc. I was a kid...and I guess I wish I still could be, in some ways anyway.
I guess if I were to get a Christmas wish, I would wish that the everyday barrage of noise that beats us about the head 24 hours a day would be silenced just for the last 2 weeks of December. No car doors slamming, no screaming neighbors, no politics, no commercials. Maybe then we actually COULD contemplate the "true meaning of Christmas" and more importantly the birth of our Savior, as well as have a little time to breathe before we're thrust into a new year of it starting all over again.
So Santa, I guess what I really want for Christmas, is merely a return to a simpler time.
Either that, or Marissa Miller.

5 comments:

Sashbury said...

Who's Marissa Miller???

Other than her.... I completely agree with you and I'm sorry that you're not feeling the Christmas Spirit.

Grimace said...

Oh she's just some old hag....

Relax,I just needed a bad joke to end on.

Sashbury said...

I am relaxed, I just didn't know who she was, (still don't and I'm too lazy to google her) ;)

Embellish the Moment said...

All right... I believed you when you said don't read this, and now I'm curious as hell because the post is gone! I guess you were just venting!

Grimace said...

Yes I was, and I opened a can of worms by posting it. Needless to say, when I'm venting, I can be quite off putting.